How is it the final week of the Countdown to Christmas Quilt-Along already? I am SO happy that Melissa asked me to run this quilt-along with her, because I finally got the advent calendar done after being on my list for four years and working with Melissa was a joy (thank you, Melissa!). I can’t wait to see everyone’s finished advent calendars and what you are putting in them!
I debated a lot over what to fill the Advent Calendar pockets with. My children are younger (2 & 4), so I didn’t want them to start each day in December with candy and I also didn’t want them to get some sort of toy every single day, because they are already greedy little toddlers! I decided to make the calendar activity-centered, with a couple candy/gift treats thrown in here and there.
Here is my list (mostly, but not all in order):
1. Visit Santa
2. Make family photo ornament
3. Donate toys to charity
4. Trip to the library for Christmas books
5. Make paper snowflakes and paper chains
6. Make christmas ornaments and felt wreaths
7. Pizza night out
8. Get a new Christmas book
9. Make Christmas cards for Grandparents
10. Picnic under the Christmas tree
11. Christmas shopping for Daddy (shhhhhh)
12. Go out for hot chocolate
13. Donate canned goods
14. Ice skating
15. Drive around the neighborhood and see Christmas lights
16. Make a gingerbread house
17. Get Christmas coloring books
18. Get gold chocolate coins
19. Make cards for the teachers, make /get gifts
20. Christmas movie night w/ popcorn
21. Make christmas cookies and take to neighbors (give little cookie cutters)
22. Christmas train ride
23. Snowfall at Americana
24. Special candelit dinner and Mass
I purchased these gift tags at Jo-Ann’s to write each day’s activity on the back. I added the gems and red ribbon to embellish them a bit. I think when the kids are older and can read, I’ll use little notecards sealed in envelopes (no peeking!).
My son is VERY excited to get started!
Now it’s time for the prize link-up! We have 4 amazing sponsors giving away a variety of prizes:
A $30 gift card to Green Fairy Quilts
A fat quarter bundle of “Holiday Sweet Tweets” by Laurie Wisbrun from Robert Kaufman Fabrics
A fat quarter bundle of “Santa’s Little Deer” by Benartex from Fat Quarter Shop
A $50 gift card from Sew Modern
The link up will be open until Sunday, December 1st at 11:59pm EST. Show us your finished advent calendars! You can link-up a blog post, or from your Flickr account, but make sure you mention the Countdown to Christmas Quilt-Along.
On Monday, December 2nd, Melissa and I will announce the winners (randomly selected).
Have a great Thanksgiving!